Managing performance issues is aimed at getting an employee to the standard of performance required; to ensure they can do their job fully and in the right way all of the time. It uses clear focused discussions and sets out easily understood and achievable standards. There is a fair and reasonable time to improve. Improvement is very important and required, particularly when there’s a possibility of disciplinary action, which may include termination of employment if the employee fails to get to the standard required to do their job properly.
Managing performance issues correctly results in the employee having a clear understanding of:
- where they may not be doing their job to the right standard (what they’re doing and how they’re doing it)
- what they really need to be doing and how they should be doing it
- the support and assistance they’ll get to help them to do their job as required
- the length of time that they have to get up to the standard they need to
- what may happen if they’re not able to meet that standard.